Saturday 14 September 2013

Heaven on Earth

After an eventful start on Friday (with a forgotten credit card mishap) we picked up our car, or KiKi as we affectionately call her, and got out on the road. That road brought us to a place I think is actually heaven on earth, The Florida Keys.

Stopping off in Islamorada to eat the best food we've had so far, as we sat looking out on the palm trees, sunshine and sea, I knew it was going to be a good few days.


It took literally minutes to spot our first bunch of dolphins, then we arrived at our glorious hotel in Key West. Located right near the sea and a short walk from the marina and all the bars, with a lovely swimming pool, jacuzzi and breakfast included, we are living the life.

From biker bars to aligators, crazy dancing, meeting special agents, late night swims, moped rides, beer by the pool, key lime coolers, key lime pie, amazing views over the sea, giant iguanas, tropical storms, we've had it all. 



And we left our mark in Key West attaching our dollars to the ceiling of the dollar bar.


We even found the most scrumptious veggie cafe (much to Soph's delight) in Key West, with Sezchuan noodles, falafel pittas and Moroccan vegetable and lentil soup. Good job we weren't there longer or Soph may literally have spent her whole budget in that place!

And importantly for me I got to do some diving in Key Largo. Diving of many firsts, first time I've been out on a boat without someone I already know, first time I've dived in the rain and first time I've seen eagle rays, lobster and a whole load of jelly fish.

I really couldn't ask for more. And we've not even swum with dolphins yet - that's what we're up to tomorrow morning before we head on to the Everglades, where I plan to cement my nickname of Ray Mears.

No comments:

Post a Comment