Monday 11 November 2013

I left my heart in Napa Valley

Okay, so that's not quite how the song goes. I was going to focus this blog on the original tune and how of all the cities we've visited so far San Francisco has been my favourite:

I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill it calls to me
To be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars
The morning fog may chill the air, I don't care

But now I've been to Napa Valley, and I realise that's where I've left my heart. Rolling hills, beautiful wineries, autumn leaves, tasty food and of course fantastic wine. There's not much not to love about the place. 




The Domaine Carneros winery, owned by the Tattinger family - yes, I did come all this way to discover my favourite wine in the region is made by the French - is particularly good. A striking house and setting, fascinating tour and lovely patio serving Chardonnay, Pinot noir, and as you'd expect some good bubbly; as well as French-inspired plates of cheese, charcuterie and smoked salmon.


Our weekend wine tasting in Napa, however, doesn't detract from San Francisco but indeed adds to it's appeal. Just 50 minutes drive away, I can't think of a more ideal set up than working in the city and spending my weekends in Napa.

San Francisco is a lovely sunny city - I'm told we timed our visit perfectly to miss the mist usually associated with the place - bursting with shops, restaurants and bars, big hills, spectacular views over the bay, and picturesque parks. It has the quirkiness of New Orleans, especially in neighbourhoods such as the Haight, combined with big city feel of Dallas, and the trendiness of Miami.



It's unique features make it a must visit city. I'd be shocked to discover there's anywhere else in the world where historic cable cars climb up giant hills, sea lions sit in the harbour, barking and splashing the day away, with impressive bridges, such a large coastline, and as grand a park as Golden Gate park.



Over the past week I've discovered why so many people rave about Northern California, and I can't blame them. In fact, I suspect I'll be joining them!

No comments:

Post a Comment