Monday 31 March 2014

Small boobs, big smiles


This is a blog not about me, but about an inspirational woman I once had the pleasure of working with, Jackie Scully.

Jackie shares my mantra of making the best of everyday; but that alone is not why I felt the need to write this - although the help she gave me when I was starting out work is worthy of a mention in its own right. This post is dedicated to Jackie because in the latest phase of her life, which tragically involves having been diagnosed stage 2, invasive lobular breast cancer, Jackie has not just been 'making the best of everyday', she's completely redefined the concept.

You need only read one post from her blog 'Small boobs, big smiles' to see what an incredibly inspiring woman she is. As well as providing practical advice to anyone else who has, or ever will suffer from the disease, she gives a touching account of her experiences, which in spite of the numerous challenges she's facing somehow always manage to draw a smile.

Jackie's ability to maintain positive and find happiness in the most unusual of places - there's not many people I know that having just had major surgery would be smiling away simply at the idea of hospital mash! - provides inspiration to us all.

So next time a problem comes along I for one, will be thinking of Jackie and her amazing ability to remain positive in the face of cancer, and I know it will help me find the strength to keep smiling too. So thank you Jackie for sharing your experiences - it can't have been easy - and for inspiring me, and I'm sure many others too! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment