Saturday 25 January 2014

Loving the simple life - Chiang Mai and the jungle




It's been a mere five days since my last blog, yet I feel I've grown more as a person in those five days than I could ever have imagined.

I've travelled from Bangkok to Chiang Mai via sleeper train - which in itself is an experience with the air conditioning blasting and snoring permeating from the neighbouring bunk; discovered the wonderful city of Chiang Mai; and trekked through the Thai jungle, meeting different hill tribes as we go.

It's taken some readjustment no longer having my best friends to share the adventure with, but I've been eased in to travelling alone gently by my lovely G Adventures tour group, the majority of which are fellow solo travellers.


Together we've walked, jumped and climbed our way through the jungle; slept on the floor of wooden huts in the freezing cold; washed in the river; ridden elephants; learned how to make the best spring rolls I've ever tasted; swum in waterfalls; played drinking games round the campfire; and accidentally capsized our bamboo rafts.



Travelling with a group of strangers, especially on a basic jungle tour was always going to teach me a bit about myself, but I've been surprised how revealing it has been.

Since my travels began I've noticed the most memorable and often the most enjoyable experiences for me have been when luxuries have been removed and we've gone back to basics: the Mexican jungle; Yosemite national park; Sian Ka'an nature reserve; and now the northern Thailand hill tribes. I have genuinely really appreciated living simply.


And not just in the 'it was fun for three days but now I'm glad to be back to civilisation' way that seemed to be the sentiment shared by the majority of my tour group. When others were missing phone signal, warm beds, hot showers, western toilets (although I do admit I have a greater appreciation for normal loos now), I was absorbing the different plants, wildlife, culture of the tribes; and rather than thinking of home and all the pressures that come with it, I was distracted by thoughts of how I could keep doing this for quite some time. It was amazingly peaceful and incredibly refreshing.

I've had a fantastic taster of jungle life and it's inspired me to try trekking again, next time for longer. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment